CCIE Routing and Switching v/s CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure
In this blog, we will make a comparison between CCIE Routing and Switching, and CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure. We shall have a look at how Cisco has made changes for the upcoming examinations 24 February 2020 onwards.
What is CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure?
Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert-Enterprise Infrastructure (CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure) will replace the current CCIE Routing and Switching. CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure validates Expert Level Professionals with skills related to Complex Enterprise Infrastructure Solutions. The Enterprise Network includes designing, deploying, operating, and optimizing. The CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure also includes programmability and automation to grow your enterprise infrastructure. CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure will distinguish you as a technical leader.
Pre-requisites for CCIE Routing and Switching and CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure
|Current CCIE Routing and Switching||New CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure v1.0|
Exam Topics in Current CCIE Routing and Switching
|Layer 2 Technologies||13%|
|Layer 3 Principles||37%|
|Layer 2 Technologies||20%|
|Layer 3 Principles||40%|
Exam Topics in New CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure v1.0
|Software Defined Infrastructure||25%|
|Transport Technologies and Solutions||15%|
|Infrastructure Security and Services||15%|
|Infrastructure Automation and Programmability||15%|
Exam Pattern CCIE Routing and Switching
Step 1: CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam
The CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam teaches candidates to Configure, Operate, and Troubleshoot Complex Enterprise Network Infrastructure. Candidates are trained to interpret infrastructure components and translate functional requirements into specific device configurations.
- Exam to be taken at authorized Pearson VUE Centers globally
- It is a combination of MCQs and Exercises assessing the skills included in the syllabus
|Exam Name||CCIE Routing and Switching Written Exam|
|Exam Code||400-101 CCIE Routing and Switching|
|No. of Questions||90-110 questions|
|Exam Duration||120 minutes|
Step 2: CCIE Lab Exam
The CCIE Lab Exam curriculum includes configuring and troubleshooting complex networks. Candidates have to diagnose threats and troubleshoot them during the examination.
|Name||CCIE Lab Exam|
Exam Pattern CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure
Step 1: CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure Written Exam
CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure is a qualifying exam. It validates the knowledge of Enterprise Networking Infrastructure. It focuses on Implementing and Operating Cisco Enterprise Network Core Technologies. The qualifying exam provides you with a Specialist Certification, which in turn gives you recognition for your accomplishments. On the technical front, it includes Implementing Core Enterprise Network Technologies on Dual Stack (IPv4 AND IPv6) Architecture, Virtualization, Network Assurance, Infrastructure, Security, and Automation.
|Exam Name||Implementing Cisco Enterprise Network Core Technologies|
|Exam Code||300-401 ENCORE|
|Exam Duration||120 minutes|
Step 2: CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure Lab Exam
CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure is an 8-hour exam consisting of 2 modules, as stated below. The candidate should be able to plan, design, deploy, operate, and optimize dual stack solutions (IPv4 and IPv6) for complex enterprise networks. Automation and Network Programmability are tested in both modules.
|Exam Name||CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure v1.0|
Module 1 – Design (3 hours)
Module 2 – Deploy, Operate and Optimize (5 hours)
|Exam Duration||8 Hours|
How to recertify CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure?
- The CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure is valid for 3 years
- The continuing education certification is applicable to CCIE too
- The continuing education point cap for Cisco Live activities and content-authoring, such as writing exam items, has been removed
|Certification Level||Duration||Examination Only||Examination and Continuing Education||Continuing Education only|
|CCIE Recertification||3 years||
||Earn 120 CE credits|
Migration from CCIE Routing and Switching to CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure
- On 24 February 2020, the current CCIE Routing and Switching v5.0 will be replaced by the new CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure v1.0 Certification.
- If candidates have started working towards the current CCIE Routing and Switching Certification, then they will receive credit for the work completed in the current program
- If candidates pass CCIE Routing and Switching Written v5.0 exam before February 24, they will be eligible to take the CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure v1.0 Lab Exam after February 24.
- After February 24, ENCOR 300-401 will replace CCIE Routing and Switching Written v5.0 exam. After candidates pass ENCOR 300-401, they will earn the Cisco Certified Specialist – Enterprise Core certification.
- If candidates complete the entire CCIE Routing and Switching certification before February 24, then on February 24, they will receive the new CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure v1.0 certification, which is valid as per new recertification guidelines
New Content/Topics Added in the CCIE Enterprise Infrastructure v1.0 are highlighted below:-